Get to grips with the fundamentals of User-Experience (UX) design, concepts and methods.
The best organisations in the world rely on the power of user-centred development in order to build legendary products and services that everyone loves. Their approach is based on a cross-disciplinary set of methods and skills and the expertise of UX Designers.
As a domain of knowledge, UX draws from information technology, psychology, human-computer interaction, graphic design and data analysis - and many other areas. It's a truly exciting way of looking at the digital world.
- CodeClan Glasgow (77 Renfrew Street)
- CodeClan Edinburgh (37 Castle Terrace)
By the end of this course you’ll be familiar with the terminologies, concepts and techniques used in UX design.
We'll explore basic methodology of user-centered design thinking such as:
- Critical analysis of websites and apps,
- Planning of UX processes,
- Personas - a method of defining the target group for design activities,
- Documentation of user and business needs,
- Interface design: sketching, wireframing and prototyping,
- User testing and validation of concepts.
Design concepts such as:
- Web accessibility and inclusivity,
- Basics of performance and benchmarking.
Across all these activities we'll be adhering to industry-wide guidelines as proposed by the prestigious GDS Digital Principles framework.
Next Edinburgh dates: 15th to 17th October.
Future dates: We'll be running this course again, so if you're interested in a later date, email admissions and we'll keep you in the loop.
Format: 3 day intensive course
Times: 09:00-17:00 (with an hour for lunch)
- Introduction to User Experience Design
- Phases of development lifecycle
- GDS Digital Principles
- Responsible design: accessibility, inclusion and the environment
- A critical look at websites and heuristics
- Group project assignments
- User needs and requirements gathering
- Fundamentals of interface design
- Sketching, wireframing and prototyping
- Planning and facilitating user testing
- Ways of obtaining structured feedback
- Communicating requirement for changes and reporting
- Group work
- Final review and discussion
At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of attendance acknowledging your completion of the course.
Aspiring Web designers, Product Managers, eCommerce teams, Marketeers, Technical and Non-technical people … and anyone wanting to learn about UX.
No previous experience of UX is essential.
- You'll need to be comfortable using a computer and be able to navigate the internet.
- A working knowledge of spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets) will be useful.
- You'll need a working laptop (any operating system).
- We'll provide writing aids. Be prepared to work mostly on paper.
The course will be run by CodeClan instructor and UX professional Wojtek Kutyla.
Wojtek has worked in the UX industry for more than 10 years, supplying digital products and executing digital transformation programmes. His client list includes the Scottish Government, NHS Scotland and England and financial institutions such as RBS, Aegon and Hiscox. Having transitioned to teaching from consultancy and team leadership at one of Scotland's most-awarded digital agencies, Wojtek offers a wealth of insight on working methods and industry specifics.
“I wanted to learn more about the UX process and techniques used in each step of the design, and I have learnt exactly about that.”
“I feel like I've come away with a much better understanding of UX and also have my notes to look back on for reference and recommended sites and books to read to find out more.”
“It was a great experience, it was challenging and I learnt a lot in a supportive environment.”
“I don't normally give full score to things but this course, its content and the teacher provided me with a big WOW factor. Hence why I'm giving the full possible score and only because I can't give more!”
The course cost is £1000.